Steve founded the firm in 2001 to focus on the specific needs of his clients related to Business, Real Estate and Estate issues. Over the course of his more than 20 year career, Steve’s litigation and transaction practices have taken him all over the United States and during that time Steve has personally handled more than 4,000 matters involving upside down real estate and more than 1,000 matters involving real estate, business, and estate planning.
Today, with 8 attorneys and offices in Gold River and Lincoln, California, the firm continues to grow and had its most successful year ever in 2016. But at age 67, Steve has been ready for the next phase of life, visiting with his family and grandchildren, traveling with his wife Ann in their RV, and of course playing golf and making music with his band. And so, on April 1, 2017, Steve was succeeded at the firm by Keith Dunnagan who is the head of the firm’s transactional law division and for the past two years has served with Steve as co-Manager of the law firm.
Steve brought a wealth of experience and knowledge that benefited all of his clients. Since 1977, Steve has been involved with real estate as an owner, developer, manager, broker and attorney. His practical experience allows him to approach real estate and business issues with real world solutions and advice gained from nearly 40 year of experience.
Steve’s clients consisted of businesses, investors, real estate professionals, and home owners with litigation, transactional and estate issues throughout the State of California including a broad range of real estate matters (non-disclosure, partition, negligence, boundary disputes, nuisance, etc.), construction defects, business law (corp. and LLC creation and guidance, breach of contract, consumer protection, unfair business practices, etc.), and estate and trust litigation and administration. With Steve’s experience as an investor, broker and attorney, his keys to success is the ability to draw on the practical experience in every phase of real estate.
In addition to maintaining his current practice, Steve also routinely serves as an expert witness and consultant in litigation cases involving real estate agent duties, he serves as a mediator, arbitrator and settlement conference pro-tem in several counties, and is also fee arbitrator for the Sacramento County Bar Association. He is a frequent presenter for continuing legal education for the State Bar, writes the monthly Legal Update column for the Sacramento Association of Realtors; and is a regular speaker a real estate profession events.
- Successfully represented clients in rescinding fraudulent real estate sale and subdivision, and obtained restoration of pre-transfer property tax valuations
- Represented clients in developing, funding, and operating AM/PM stations in northern California
- Successfully defended major real estate brokerage and agents from claims related to foreclosure and resale of property
- Successfully represented client in recovering over $230,000 for undisclosed defects in resale property
- Successfully negotiated resolution of commercial property loan defaults in multiple states with cross-property guaranties
- Successfully represented commercial landlord in obtaining over $600,000 in Arbitration against tenant challenging change in laws
- Successfully represented clients in several cases involving major family Trust and Probate disputes over real property and other assets
- Represented clients in acquiring multi-family buildings and hotels nationwide including negotiation of multi-tiered financing agreements and leases
- Successfully represented high-tech company in non-competition/copyright litigation in state and Federal courts
- Successfully represented commercial property operator from efforts to break ground lease
- Successfully defended clients in large post-foreclosure deficiency litigation involving residential and commercial properties and government agencies
Steve received his Juris Doctorate in May 1994, from Lincoln Law School of Sacramento, CA, his Bachelor of Arts in International Relations & History in 1972 from University of Massachusetts Boston, did Graduate study in real estate development at Harvard University, and graduated from Massachusetts Military Academy in 1972 where he was commissioned as an Officer in the US Army National Guard.
Steve was admitted to the State Bar of California in 1994 and is admitted practice in all California State Courts as well as the Federal Court for the Eastern Districts of California.
Steve and his wife, Ann, are very involved in community activities in Sun City Lincoln Hills. In their spare time they enjoy travelling, golf, scuba-diving and dancing, plus Steve plays drums with a local band.
Although Steve has passed the reigns the over to Keith Dunnagan, Steve will remain involved in the firm on a limited basis to provide mentoring, counsel, marketing, and outreach to the real estate and business community.